Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ways of Minimizing Risk

Like I said before, there are many obstacles in the path of a single developer finishing and shipping a game. So I thought I'd do a post about what I'm doing to mitigate that risk.
  • Using a pre-made engine: Unity
  • Using middleware: Orkashi RPG Kit
  • Using a unique art style
  • Chose to do a relatively easier to develop game structure
  • I decided to do a dungeon crawler, which I love, but also doesn't require as many unique art assets as an open world. 
    • Easier to be creative within constraints
  • Finding ways to minimize animation
    • First, animation is time-consuming. 
    • Second, it doesn't contribute as much to the world/gameplay for the time it takes to do as many other tasks that are faster.
  • Using sprites instead of full 3D models
  • Focusing on digital distribution
    • Rather than focusing on finding a publisher or investors to fund a large scale physical distribution and advertising campaign, I'm going to try crowdfunding and releasing in a digital format.
  • Developing with a harder heart
    • If I cut features that are close to my heart when I see them taking too much development time, or that they're making it less fun, the game is that much more likely to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment